(CBS DETROIT) — The Detroit Police Department announced on Tuesday it is starting phase one of “Operation Justice for Zion” in an effort to recover missing 17-year-old Zion Foster.
Police say the first phase includes the “removal of 20 feet of material above the focus area.” Heavy equipment needed to complete this phase will be provided by Michigan CAT.READ MORE: Tony Hawk Stops In Detroit For Grand Opening Of Chandler Park Skatepark
Operation Justice for Zion — a partnership with federal, state and local organizations — was announced last month during a press conference. At that time, police said their search included a landfill in Lenox Township.
“Operators will be city employees from our General Services Division and the Department of Public Works. A road will be installed to the search area and crews will build a search deck that will be utilized to inspect materials found in the focus area,” DPD said in a news release.
READ MORE: Detroit Police Department To Hold Abandoned Vehicle Auctions Beginning June 28
Police say phase one is expected to be complete in two weeks.
“Our top priority is to maintain a safe working environment for searchers,” DPD said.Ballot Initiative Proposes To Protect Abortions In Michigan
© 2022 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.