(CBS Detroit) — Attorneys for five men accused of plotting to kidnap Gov. Gretchen Whitmer are looking to dismiss the indictment.

According to The Detroit News, a 20-page motion filed Christmas night is asking the judge to dismiss the conspiracy charge, which would dismantle the case and remaining charges.

READ MORE: Judge Says Michigan Gov. Whitmer Won't Have To Testify In Abortion Lawsuit

The attorneys describe the charges as “overreaching,” claiming FBI agents and federal prosecutors invented a conspiracy, entrapping the defendants.

Each man could face up to life in prison if convicted.

READ MORE: MDHHS Lifts No-Contact Recommendation In Huron River Chemical Spill

A sixth man — Ty Garbin — has already pleaded guilty and is serving a six-year federal prison sentence.

In September, the judge set a March 8 trial for five men accused after defense lawyers asked him to postpone the October trial. Federal prosecutors didn’t object.

MORE NEWS: 'A Blessing': Expungement Fair Held In Detroit As Attendees Hope For A Fresh Start

Last week, a lead investigator in the alleged plot pleaded no contest to assaulting his wife, though he said he has no memory of it.

© 2021 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.