FLAT ROCK, Mich. (AP) — Authorities told hundreds of people in a Detroit suburb to return home Thursday, ending a three-week voluntary evacuation after gasoline from a Ford Motor factory got into the sewer system.
The leak “is no longer a risk to the indoor air of Flat Rock homes and businesses in Zone 1,” state and local health departments said.READ MORE: The Detroit Zoo To Host Its Final Weekend Of Family-Friendly Halloween Event 'Zoo Boo' Oct. 22-24
Zone 1 has about 500 homes. Zone 2, with 635 homes, got the green light Monday in Flat Rock, 25 miles south of Detroit.
Wayne County said the lone exception was a handful of homes that initially had elevated levels of benzene or suspicious odors. Flat Rock’s drinking water system wasn’t affected.READ MORE: Kalamazoo Tests For Lead Exposure Following High-Lead Level Reports In Other Michigan Cities
“I want to thank Flat Rock residents for their resilience throughout this difficult time,” said Genelle Allen, Wayne County chief operating officer.
Ford Motor has been paying to put residents in hotels. The offer will continue for residents who still are awaiting written results from tests.MORE NEWS: Michigan Reports 7,505 New COVID-19 Cases, 118 Deaths
© 2021 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.