ST. IGNACE, Mich. (AP) — More than 20,000 people participated Monday in the Labor Day walk on the Mackinac Bridge, an annual event that was canceled last year for the first time because of COVID-19.

“Although total participation is less than we’ve had in recent years, there were still thousands of very happy faces on the bridge, all glad to revive this tradition,” said Kim Nowack, director of the Mackinac Bridge Authority.

READ MORE: U Of M Establishes New Sexual Misconduct Policy For Employees, Students

The 2020 cancellation was the first since the walk began in 1958.

READ MORE: AG Nessel Reissues Consumer Alerts Amid Flooding, Power Outages In Michigan

The state said the walk attracted 21,000 people who had many options. They could walk the entire bridge, walk to the middle and return to St. Ignace or Mackinaw City or make a 10-mile round trip.

Gov. Gretchen Whitmer led the pack.

MORE NEWS: 17-Year-Old Charged In Non-Fatal Shooting In Detroit

© 2021 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.