By Sydney B.
This is Style In The D and I’m your host Sydney B.!
Appearance matters a great deal especially because you can often tell a lot about a person by the way they dress. With the help of Stylist Rachel Levin of Rachel Levin Style, I’ve pulled together three easy tips to help you survive the heat while being dressed for success. Let’s get started:
- Fabrics and Colors Matter: As the summer heats up so will you if you’re not wearing the correct types of lightweight natural fabrics. Choose breathable garments made of linen, cotton, silk, or even rayon. Remember, your goal is to beat the heat while remaining well-dressed! When choosing the correct color to wear be sure to choose between off-white, neutrals, or even various shades of blue. Explore color options that flatter you most, but make sure the color you choose isn’t too bold. We wouldn’t want you to shine too bright at the office.
- Stay Covered Up: Avoiding anything too tight and revealing like sheers, short skirts or shorts. If you’re going sleeveless make sure that you have a jacket or blazer to cover your arms within the workplace, but if you can avoid going sleeveless altogether then you’re on the right track. Bypass the heat by keeping yourself cool with the air conditioning in your building, but remember stay covered up.
- Finish The Look: Your look is never complete without the right final touch! Ladies complete your look by adding accessories to accentuate your outfit. Make-up is an optional choice, but you must make sure that it looks natural. Don’t drown out your face with more make-up then you need…besides it’s nothing more than a beauty enhancer. Gentlemen your look should be clean and crisp. With a well-ironed tucked-in shirt, a matching belt, a matching pair of shoes, and a nice watchband you’ll certainly look dapper in your professional attire. Before leaving the house always ask yourself, “Did I complete the look?”
Next time, when you’re considering what to wear for work be sure to remember these three quick tips: Fabrics and Colors matter, to always stay covered up, and be sure to finish the look!
Dress to be your brand!
Additional tips for keeping cool during the summer heat:
- Instead of eating hot foods, take a cooler approach to summer with frequent smaller meals or snacks that contain cold fruits, delicious salads, or even low-fat dairy products.
- Decrease your chance of dehydration by drinking plenty of water throughout the day. A nice water bottle will be great for inside the office and on the go.
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol as these will promote dehydration!
Hey There! My name is Sydney B and I am a student at Western Michigan University majoring in Film, Video and Media Studies with a minor in Apparel Merchandising. I was born and raised in Detroit, Michigan. Outside of being a student during the academic year, I’m an intern for CBS/CW50 Television network station and the WALK Fashion Show brand ambassador by day and a retail sales associate for True Religion Brand Jeans in the evening. I have a passion for entertainment and I’m always looking to feature the next big story on my blog. I also enjoying writing for my personal blog The Social B., and hosting my web show. My favorite quote: “In order to succeed, your desire for success has to be greater than your fear of failure.” – Bill Cosby. Be Humble. Be Honest. Be YOU!